Sunday, June 3, 2012

Lake City

Lake City is a wonderful town of ~400 year-round residents.  I arrived on Friday and am staying at the Raven's Rest Hostel, owned by a thru-hiker I know from the PCT, Lucky (his trail name, and yes, he's Irish) and his wife.

Of course, like everyone wants to do after getting off the trail, the first thing I did that afternoon after a shower was help him lay 1,300 square feet of sod.  It was quite satisfying, as such projects are something I miss while on the trail.  I also spent part of my weekend attempting to fix an adult-sized tricycle, but after getting the internal 3-speed hub back in order, I discovered another problem that will have to wait for another mechanic.

I arrived just in time to participate in a 5/10k fun run on Saturday morning.  As it was supposed to be a rest day, I opted for the 5k.  I was satisfied by my time of 23:59.  Lucky's wife won the women's division, breaking 22 minutes.

After two great days off, I will head back to the trail sometime tomorrow.

I finished 8th overall, out of a couple dozen.

With Lucky and two of his very friendly dogs.

Part of the new lawn.

In the workshop.

1 comment:

  1. Goodness, staying busy! I just did a big overview; your hike looks like it is coming along well! I'm a bit jealous. Finish and come visit Senegal next :)!

    ReplyDelete