Saturday, June 9, 2012

Lake City to Salida

I arrived in Salida first thing Friday morning from Monarch Pass.  I will head back to the trail today and should reach Leadville on Wednesday.

On Tuesday I climbed my first Colorado fourteener, San Luis Peak (14,014').  There was hardly any snow left on the trail and I was able to make great time, including my first 30 mile day on the CDT.  Apart from trees blown down across the trail in the next section, I expect few delays and should be able to keep my mileage in the mid to high 20s from here forward.

The last patches of snow.

Top of San Luis Peak.  It was quite windy.

This terrain made 30 miles fairly easy.

Hikingin east in the cool of the morning.


Old grazing land.

Back in aspen.

Wildflowers scattered amongst the rock.

Following the ridge south of Monarch Pass.

2 comments:

  1. Really pretty country. Man, I'm enjoying the photos. Are you still hiking alone? Using a timer for photos of yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah leadville, how i miss thee.... Sticking around for the marathon? I bet you can't beat my record breaking 7hr time! Great pics greg. Hope you're having a blast!

    tj

    ReplyDelete