Monday, April 23, 2012

Lordsburg to Silver City

We have reached Silver City.  I am still hiking with Brooks, as have yet to go Lewis-and-Clark.  We took today off to rest up and get resupply packages ready for the next couple weeks.  It is a neat small town with everything a hiker could want within easy walking distance of our hotel (built in 1882).

The trail has improved greatly.  There is actual trail to follow much of the time (not dirt roads or cow paths!), regular trees for shade (even some pine forest!), and more interesting topography.  I have been enjoying the geology, as it is nothing like the PNW (there is a copper mine just south of town).

All my gear and food has been working well, except for my shoes/insoles.  I finally realized I needed to cut out the area below my little toes from the insoles to give them enough room, but not until I lost a toenail and spent several days limping along with significant assistance from ibuprofen.  Hopefully things heal up within a few days.

I will be heading north from town tomorrow.  The 'official' CDT goes through the Gila Mountains, but I am choosing a common alternate along the Gila River, as it will be a nice break from the desert.  I will also be able to visit the Gila Cliff Dwellings.  I should be in Pie Town within a week and a half, and to Grants in about two.  

The walk out of Lordsburg.

A beautiful campsite with water, shade, and cell phone reception.

The first real hiking tread of the trail!

Nearing the end of the 12 mile road-walk into town.

No comments:

Post a Comment