Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Gear: Part 2



Not a good look.
Clothing

As you can see, my PCT clothing choices left something to be desired.  I have made several upgrades for the CDT (to be fair, I did not always look that horrendous).

I will be hiking in a new REI Sahara shirt and ExOfficio convertible pants that I have had since I was 14.  I like the flexibility of full coverage for sun and bug protection, but the sleeves easily roll up and legs zip off if I want more air flow.  On my feet I wear medium weight SmartWool hiking socks (one spare pair), running shoes, and light debris gaiters.  Yes, I will be wearing underwear (ExOfficio boxer briefs, one spare).

I usually do not wear a hat, but do have a bandana and a very flattering Sunday Afternoons Adventure Hat.  Normally, sun protection will be provided by my GoLite Chrome Dome Trekking Umbrella.

My outwear will include a Eddie Bauer First Ascent BC200 shell and Marmot Ether DriClime windshirt for the entire trail, with a light REI Revelcloud synthetic vest and cheap rain pants added during the more mountainous sections and in the fall.  I have a light Mountain Hardware fleece cap and old REI fleece gloves when it is colder.

As my hiking clothes may be wet and will certainly smell awful, I will have separate clothes to sleep in: full body long underwear, a light balaclava, and light socks.  When it is colder, I can add any or all of my other garments.

Most of my clothing will stay with me the entire trail, although I expect to wear out five pairs of shoes and at least that many pairs of socks.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Greg,
    Bev Kuehn sent us your blog link. We are related to you through the Swarner's. We will be following your progress and praying for your hike. Dan always wanted to hike the PCT, but never had the opportunity, so he's thrilled for you.
    Dan and Vicki Koons
    Surprise, AZ

    ReplyDelete