Sunday, June 3, 2012

Pagosa Springs to Lake City

The hike to Lake City via Spring Creek Pass went faster than expected.  I arrived in Lake City on Friday afternoon with another hiker I had been with since Pagosa Springs.  He left Lake City earlier than I, so I will be solo going forward.  I should be in Salida by the end of the week.

Trail conditions improved over the stretch from Chama, as the snow is melting quickly (but refreezing overnight, reducing time wasted post-holing) and the trail followed more open terrain.  There was still plenty of snow, elevation change (we ranged from 10,000' to 13,000'), and downed trees, making for long days. 

The CDT joined the Colorado Trail partway through the section.  The difference in trail maintenance was stark: less trail rutting, almost no overgrown brush, and water bars that prevented the trail from becoming a creek.

We camped above treeline a couple times, requiring me to strap bunches of twigs to my pack to cook dinner.  This made for an interesting look.

I rarely carry produce while hiking, so I was delighted when a couple ATVers I came across gave me large chunks of pineapple when I was five days along.

When Clement and I were hiking into Ghost Ranch, we visited with a couple we met along the dirt road walk.  The woman is a painter and took our picture to paint later.  The result can be seen here.


Snowy descent

The snow refroze at night, making for relatively easy walking.

We usually looked ahead at the relatively snow-free southern slopes, only to be greeted by snow on the northern exposures.

Sunny, but cold, morning.

Walking a snow-free ridge.

Coming out of a low valley.

Snack break.

Snowy traverse.

Elk running away.

Dramatic topography in the middle of this section.

Snowmelt flowing down the trail.

The last couple days were fairly clear, going over high, rolling hills.

View from the dinner table.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is my favorite post yet. Love the dramatic pictures and the pastel of you & Clement is fabulous. Maybe she can make you a print of it? Glad you also got some rest, though your participation in the 5k comfiems you're crazy. Just saying... Wish you were here un Zurich! We thought of you today seeing people around town with packs on (at the zoo?!). You'd fit right in!

    ReplyDelete