Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Ghost Ranch to Chama

I have reached Colorado!  The sage and sandstone terrain quickly gave way to the high rolling hills of the Rockies.  We were around 10,000' most of the stretch and frequently encountered patches of snow. 

My feet are almost 100% and continuing to improve in new, larger shoes.  We have been able to increase our daily mileage to the high 20s both due to feeling better and increasing daylight.

I spent the night in Chama, New Mexico, which is reached from Cumbres Pass, just over the border in Colorado.  Clement will soon be hitching to Denver and I will return to the pass to head north solo.  The San Juan mountains are quite high and snowy, so I have added a few pieces of clothing and an ice axe.  I plan to be in Pagosa Springs on Saturday and head out the same day to Lake City.  This should take a week and a half, and there is a good chance I will not be online until then.

Clement on the way out of Ghost Ranch.

A shortcut that wasn't.

The wild iris are starting to bloom.

Cooking dinner.

The elk were abundant in this stretch.

Walking the ridge.

The meadows are saturated with snowmelt.
Colorado border!
A great spring--no filtering required.

Walking the rails to Cumbres Pass.

Hitching into Chama.

3 comments:

  1. Huy Greg I found it!! Thanks for the postcard!! I will have fun tracking your progress. Did you go through the Phillmont Ranch or does the trail go around it? I am so proud of you and your adventurous spirit. God Bless You! Jeremy I

    ReplyDelete
  2. Philmont is well east of the trail. Cuba is at a similar latitude, but four hours west.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Greg. We found your blog through our Scoutmaster, Jeremy from T392. What a great inspiration you are to all of our scouts. We will follow your journey and have prayers for safe travels and great discoveries. --Kurt, Kim, Kory H. :)

    ReplyDelete